HP3000-L Archives

March 2008, Week 5

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:06:21 -0400
When HP killed the HP3000 in 2001 we had about 500 customers for
QueryCalc, the graphics report writer we'd written for IMAGE and the HP3000.
The first question I asked myself wasn't what do we do now? Rather it was, if
we were going to rebuild QueryCalc, who do I trust?

After a few days thought, I decided that the only person I truly trusted any
longer to maintain his platform was Bill Gates. Backend servers have now
become interchangeable and unidentifiable, thus I certainly didn't want to
become too entangled with any single server vendor again. But the PCs are
obviously different. Although there are an enormous number of PC
manufacturers, there's really only one system, and I very much believe in Bill's
plans for World Domination. Because of that belief, the newest version of
QueryCalc, which we now call QCReports, was translated onto the PC.

95% of the QCReports' code now runs under Windows, and that will stay the
same as we move from host platform to platform. Only 5% of the code has to
be built to run on a specific host. Because Summit's Credit Union represented a
significant proportion of our customer base in November, 2001, and because
they migrated as a unit whole, that's the target audience we decided to go
after first.

Summit chose Eloquence and HP-UX, and our first host code was therefore
constructed so that it runs equally well on:

   o Eloquence on HP-UX
   o Eloquence on Linux
   o Eloquence on Windows Server

Once we complete the first pass at the PC client software, which is now
Version 0.98, we will start adding other platform OS's and databases, and
that's a good part of the reason why I'm writing. The question is: is there any
interest (meaning money) in us putting together host code for the HP3000 and
IMAGE? I estimate that it would only take us a couple of months (in the
Atmarian Calendar) to get it up and running on the HP3000. We already have
all of the database query code written for the HP3000. It's only a matter of
rewriting it for the new communications protocols.

You can actually demonstrate the current beta version of QCReports to
yourself if you like. Download the client from:

   http://aics-research.com/qcreports/index.html

QCReports communicates with its host, which can be anywhere in the world,
by either telnet or SSH, so we're inherently compatible with an HP3000.

Because you won't have a host defined when you use the client, QCReports
will automatically sign onto the Invent9k HP-UX machine that HP has made
graciously available to developers and will use a Eloquence demonstration
database, which was migrated from our HP3000s in just a matter of minutes.

This database, now called QCDEMO, is an actual construction company's
database, which they allowed us to have in 1985. We've used it ever since for
training purposes.

When I was designing QCReports early in 2002, right after the death of the
HP3000, I wrote that I wanted people to be able to put a new PC on their new
desk in St. Louis, so that once they've downloaded the PC client, they would
be up and connected with their home office host server in less than 30
minutes.

What you'll do in this client download is demonstrate this capability to
yourself. Once you have the client downloaded, launch the client and open the
file:

   training-macro

Now double-click on the "demo macro." As soon as you've done this,
QCReports will log onto the Invent9k machine, load the first report to be run,
download the schema of the database into the PC, and begin its query
executions. Once finished, it will print the derived results out onto your default
printer.

I wrote the original version of this report in HP3000 BASIC/V in 1982, and it
was printed out onto a 132-column dot matrix printer at the time. This is
exactly the same report, migrated through many versions of the HP3000 and
now to QCReports/HP-UX, and it will now print in simulated 132-column line
printer mode.

On our original Series 33, the report required 34 minutes to complete. You
should see it now execute in less than 20 seconds, of which most of that time
is consumed in the speed of light propagation delays between wherever you
are and Cupertino. If you were adjacent to the machine, it would execute in
about 10 seconds.

If you right-click the "demo macro" button, you'll be able to see the macro
commands. They are exactly identical to those that were was used in
QueryCalc on the HP3000. They are:

The first set downloads the original 1982 income report for the construction
company, recalculates it and then prints out pages B and C to the currently
selected system printer (most likely your PC's default printer):

  /load training-incomerp
  !!
  /print b,c s

The second phase loads an advertisement for QueryCalc that I put together in
the mid-late 1990's, after we had provided QueryCalc with PostScript
capabilities. We no longer require the use of PostScript; PCL is just as
acceptable, but the output is identical. If your printer has a duplexer on it, the
output will be double-sided:

  /load training-oldad
  /duplex long
  /print a,b s

The last document is a training document that I've just put together explaining
how to use QCReports' graphics. Three selected pages are printed, Q, T, and
V. The last two are just newer, prettier versions of the 1982 income report,
with Page V having had lines, boxes and graphs added:

  /load quicktour-graphics
  /print q,t,v s

When all of this is done, the macro re-loads the original report, which is merely
a few boxes and a macro button:

  /load training-macro

...and quits.

On one hand you might ask why spend any money on a dead platform, and
that's certainly a reasonable question. But on the other, if you're intending on
staying with MPE for a little while longer, QCReports would be a way to
significantly upgrade and modernize your capabilities with the HP3000. And, if
and when you do migrate, if you move to a platform which Eloquence
supports, your total migration time for your database and reports will honestly
be only a one or two hours. Other than changing the IP address of the new
host, you'll never notice a single difference.

Wirt Atmar

AICS Research, Inc.
University Park, NM  88003-4691
(800) AICS-INC