HP3000-L Archives

March 2008, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:57:14 -0400
Craig Lalley asks:

> I was recently driving by an already harvested cotton field.
>
> I went out an plucked a cotton pod to show the kids.   Then a question
> came to mind (it CAN happen).
>
> What purpose does producing the cotton serve the plant?
>
> I understand fruit, animals eat it, and spread the seeds, or the fruit can
> be fertilizer for the seeds.
>
> I understand flowers, attract bees, which helps pollenation.
>
> But what purpose does the cotton serve?

I've been watching the responses so far, but you all are approaching the
question wrongly, beyond the simple guessing.

Craig asks what purpose does the cotton serve? The question of purpose
always
implies a designer, thus the first question that must be answered is: Who is the
Designer? The immediately obvious follow-on questions then become: When did
He
design cotton? And what purpose could He have possibly had in mind when He
designed cotton? Have those purposes changed over time, along with the
structure
of cotton, or was the design of cotton originally perfect and immutable?

Answer these questions, which should be quite easy for this group, given its
current predilictions, and the remainder of the question, what purpose does
cotton serve, should become clear.

Wirt Atmar