HP3000-L Archives

March 2008, Week 1

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:45:13 -0800
Hi,

> I have a tape that I'd like to store to a disk file.  I don't want to actually
> restore the files to the system, I only want to kind of create an image of the
> file on disk.  How do I do that?

There are some free ways, and one product that will do this.

Free: TAPECOPY
http://www.allegro.com/software/hp3000/allegro.html#TAPECOPY
(IIRC, there was at least one other free program, with the same limitations as
TAPECOPY)

Product: TAPEDISK
http://www.allegro.com/products/hp3000/tapedisk.html

The primary difference is that if you have tapes with a record size of
more than about 40 or 50 KB, the free programs won't be able to copy the
data (and may not notice that they're losing data).

The TAPEDISK product can copy tapes with any size of tape records, and records
DDS setmarks.

Both programs can re-create the tapes at a later date, of course.

Stan
--
Stan Sieler
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html