HP3000-L Archives

February 2008, Week 1

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:18:40 -0800
John,

My bet is the problem is at the other end.  Have the client check the machine you are trying to get to.  Make sure the gateway is set correctly and that the windows firewall is set to let RDP (remote desktop) through.  Sorry I don't remember the default port number.

  They should also check the registry to see if anyone changed the default port number.
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

  -Craig

"Penney, John" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hey gentle Listers:

Hoping that anyone who uses LinkSysfor VPNing can help. Can't connect from home although I have worked for 3 nonths with a company in the East, same LinkSys router, WRT54G, with no problems. Called Linksys support and 3 hours on the phone, no closer-

Symptoms- I can VPN to the new client site, enter my Username and password OK, get the "Confidentiality" warning screen, seemingly through the Firewall OK- but when I attempt to Remote Desktop I enter Username and Password and get the "can't connect to remote compter, check IP.....etc".

Short of buying another Router/Wireless, hey they're not that expensive, ....

Thanks folks and have a great day!

John M Penney, Partner
The TechUnion Group
218 McKena Lane SW