HP3000-L Archives

January 2008, Week 3

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:22:23 +0100
Hi John,

To answer your question the short way, I can see 2 solutions : a) Modify the
application so that the database itself is cut into smaller databases. That
would implement smaller control blocks, with more of them to queue on, thus
reducing the contention on a single resource, which it seems is what your
users actually experience. Or b) significantly upgrade your system, so that
the transactions queuing on a given control block are processed faster. Or
do both. The problem is, each solution has its price. Option a) also
probably means some development time. Depending on where your application is
in its lifecycle, you may or may not want to change anything.

Now, let's think a little :

- Have you had this problem for a long time ? If yes, how did you cope with
it until yesterday ?
- If the problem is new, did you change anything ? A new application
somewhere ? New users on an existing application ? Some change in the
database schema ? Well, anything you changed on that system may be relevant
- Can you tell if impeded users are actually queuing on the SAME database
control block ? Or different databases ?
- Do users have a tendency to logoff all at the same time, e.g. end of shift
? Did they always have the same behaviour, or was there some recent change ?
- Can you tell whether your system experiences memory pressure ? Lots of
swapping IOs ?

I hope these few ideas can help. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Best regards,

Christian "still trying to help, after all those years" Lheureux