HP3000-L Archives

December 2007, Week 4

From:
Robert Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:02:20 -0000
Greetings to the -L,

Over the holiday I was playing with Linux (the Ubuntu distribution) and
WINE. My playing was not work related (at least it did not start that
way) as my sister-in-law needed a new laptop but was not willing to pay
for Windoze XP to go with it. After quizzing her on what she needed to
be able to do (browse the web, access her web-based email account, write
a few documents) I decided the answer was Linux with FireFox (IE
replacement) OpenOffice.org (MS Office replacement).

After I finished the build and passed it to here she then mentioned a
couple of Windoze programs she needed access to (duhh). So I started
looking at WINE (emulates the Windoze API on Linux) and what it could
run.

Was surprised to find an entry about QCTerm
(http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7662) which could come
in handy to any shop moving away from Windoze who still needed to access
their HPe3000 (homesteaders should take note of this).

regards,

Robert W.Mills
Business Systems Development Analyst
Group Information Systems & Technology