HP3000-L Archives

November 2007, Week 5

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:29:42 -0700
At 7:34 AM +1100 11/30/07, John Pitman wrote:

>Duane,
>I forget how I found it...it may have been prompted by finding out there was such an option in NM ksam. I do remember being intrigued by Alfredo (I think) showing the NUMBERS command in query once - not documented, not in helps - but found by simply printing the program code in char mode and looking at string sequences that look like commands or options. NUMBERS shows the set and record numbers of records currently in the found list.

Ah!  Thanks for the memories, John.  Where did we do this?  Saudi Arabia?
Australia?  Somewhere else?  I have always loved digging deeply into the
innermost bits and bytes.  Here is today's example.  If you have
the developer tools installed into your spiffy Mac OS X machine, check
this out to find references to esteemed members of hp3000-L.  Please note
that this goes out to EVERY Mac OS X user in the world, because the
developer tools are included in the installation DVD for Mac OS X.
Whether you install the developer tools or not is your choice, but I highly
recommend doing so.

Here is the full Unix path within Mac OS X:

/Developer/Documentation/DocSets/com.apple.ADC_Reference_Library.DeveloperTools.docset/Contents/Resources/Documents/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/perlmpeix.1.html

To avoid random text wrapping for those email clients that have a limit
per line, I divided the file's path into several lines, which you should
concatenate:

/Developer/Documentation/DocSets
/com.apple.ADC_Reference_Library.DeveloperTools.docset
/Contents/Resources/Documents/documentation
/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/perlmpeix.1.html

The same document is available online.  Here is the long URL, which might
wrap:
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/perlmpeix.1.html

And here is the TinyURL, with the "preview" feature for your peace of mind.
This feature is actually a "decompiler" for the encrypted TinyURL, so that
you can see where it leads you before you commit to going there.  This idea
is very appropriate for the subject of John's message.  Your hawk eyes will
notice that the preview offered by the TinyURL service happens to wrap ;-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2rsh29

Enjoy your decompiling, or reverse engineering, or whatever you prefer
to call it.  Who will get the most brownie points by being the first to
report the names of the hp3000-L colleagues whose names appear in this
document?

Happily programming Adager in Sun Valley, while still finding some
free time to explore worthy bits and bytes,

  _______________
 |            r  |  Alfredo                  http://www.adager.com
 |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
 |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
 |    d          |  Adager Corporation
 |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.