HP3000-L Archives

November 2007, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:08:02 -0500
HP-3000 Systems Discussion wrote:
> So my question now is, what is the best way to insure there
> are no files hanging around that might contain sensitive
> data? I'm concerned there may be something lurking somewhere
> that could be recovered that has passwords, data, or whatnot.
>
> I have purged all spoolfiles and logs (third-party and
> system). Should I wipe out the system volume and reinstall
> from scratch before shutting down? Or is it sufficient to
> simply purge all third-party utility accounts (i.e., non-HP accounts)?
>
> Thoughts, suggestions, comments and commiserations are all welcome.

I just performed last rites for a 9x8 server at a customer site yesterday
and have been through the excercise a couple times before...

We didn't have to follow SOX on that box, but some of the steps I took might
be useful:

1) purged all accounts except sys, hpspool, and 3000devs
  (had to log off all jobs, shut down network, and disable system UDCs to do
that)
2) reset/blanked all system passwords (groups, users, accounts)
3) purged all groups from SYS account that I could (aside from in-use
groups) as well as all users except MANAGER.SYS,OPERATOR.SYS,
MANAGER.HPSPOOL.
4) went thorugh PUB.SYS listf (file by file) looking for anything that might
be a job stream or contain user data (or anything not critical to keeping
the system up) and PURGEd it
5) go into VOLUTIL and condense my discs
6) created a group called JUNK.SYS (you would need to do this on each
volset; this box only had the system vol set)
7) wrote and ran a short script that copied NL.PUB.SYS (the largest file
remaining on the system) into JUNK.SYS in a loop using filenames A#######
and X####### until all disc space was used up
8) PURGEGROUP JUNK.SYS
9) go into NMMGR and change IP addresses on the box to something
bland/different; including default gateway (also delete any entries in the
NS directory if there are any)
10) sequentially PURGE @.GROUP.ACCT for all groups (leave PUB.SYS until
last)
11) shut down the box...