UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Kittrell Rushing <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kittrell Rushing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:09:53 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
-------------------------

UTC Colleagues,

I've posted on the web a few of my photographs from this weekend's
Symposium on the 19th Century Press, The Civil War, and Free
Expression. The meeting was held here in Chattanooga. Those attending
the conference presented and listened between several interesting
meals. The conference ended yesterday (Saturday) afternoon with a tour
of the Lookout Mountain Battlefield led by National Park Historian Jim
Ogden. The afternoon tour was followed by the conference's traditional
barbeque dinner at Chattanooga's downtown "Sticky Fingers" restaurant.

An interesting development for the conference over the last few years
is the increasing presence of "mainstream" historians. (I learned this
weekend that "mainstream" is how some historians refer to themselves.)
The sharing between journalism historians and "mainstream" historians,
both with interests in the 19th century, is an interesting and, to me,
exciting development of the little conference.

A selection of the 2007 symposia photographs is available at:

http://www.utc.edu/Academic/Communication/conference/07conf/index.html

--kit

K. Rushing
Communication Dept.
This correspondence is a public record and it is subject to
public inspection pursuant to the Tennessee Public Records Act