UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Evelyn Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Evelyn Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:43:33 -0500
UTC Faculty, Staff, Students, and the Public are invited to a free
lecture/seminar sponsored by the Philosophy and Religion Department TODAY
Monday, November 5th.

"The Politics of Fat: Body Images and Class Consciousness"

Presented by Dr. Talia Welsh

Monday, November 5, 2007

3:30 pm in Holt 207

In this presentation, Dr. Welsh will ask what our ideal body images tell us
about our anxious embodiment.  The figures of "ideal" bodies presented to us
grow more and more similar despite increasing ethnic and gender diversity.
She will ask what the role of such a body ideals might serve in our
contemporary capitalist consumer culture.  In conclusion, Dr. Welsh will ask
to what degree rejections of our norms of health (in fat activist and
pro-anorexic literature) are politically instructive when considering, what
some have called, "health fascism."

For more information on this lecture go to
http://www.utc.edu/Academic/PhilosophyAndReligion/events.php

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *