UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2007 23:36:48 -0500
I would like to give a large heart-felt thank you to administration for
making the uniforms happen, and for allowing me the latitude to explore
unique designs and patterns. With that said; were it not for Sidney Roberts'
incredible visions and style I would not have been able to get half way to
the design I felt the university and Chattanooga deserved. She submitted a
multitude of concepts (my favorite included the walking bridge but it could
not be reproduced in scale at the number required) and impressed the uniform
companies with her new eye. The collar used for the UTC Marching Mocs is the
first of its kind but companies are already including it on next years
designs and are working to get them in the catalogs. Sydney was the voice to
a song I could not seem to write. So. huge thanks for her work. What was
left out of the newspaper article was the last piece of the puzzle. One
shoulder is winged (drum corps style and mentioned in the article) and one
shoulder is soft to which the drum majors will be adding navy capes trimmed
in silver (silver is an approved color on the UTC pallet and we were careful
to get the right number). The capes and soft shoulder is representative of
those students coming to UTC via show bands in the "HBC" style. The 2007
Marching Mocs are 32 percent African-American (I use this term for your
benefit not theirs. they don't like it) and I wanted them to be able to see
something represented from their high school experience as well. The new "C"
was suggested by Athletic Director Rick Heart. Having it generate from the
smoke was a designer's idea that looked very cool and tied all the ideas in
together. So it is a very busy uniform that represents a very busy
institution, a very busy little city, and a very busy student body. Thank
you administration, Sydney Roberts, and Professor Cindy White who played
"band mom" to the entire Marching Mocs by single handedly getting these kids
fitted in time for the game.

Stuart

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *