UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Michel E. Holder" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michel E. Holder
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2007 17:20:03 -0400
I do not pretend to speak for the engineering faculty, but I would like to
respond from my own point of view. For the record, I have been programming
computers for over 45 years, so I'm not opposed to change. I also teach
assembler language programming which DEMANDS the ability to think in a
logical and sequential manner. A large percentage of students cannot do that
today, and I place the blame squarely on the excessive use of the crutch
currently known as "the calculator". These crutches are placed in the
students' hands before they even learn the multiplication tables and long
division. Do you think we should stop teaching these basics too? Today's
students cannot solve a simple set of two equations with two unknowns
without their crutch...... a very sad state of affairs.

The ability to solve mathematical problems by going through a set of
sequential steps according to some logical rule is good training for an
engineer or anyone else. The simple task of simplifying a mathematical
expression consisting of sets of signed numbers and variables within sets of
parentheses and brackets is good training in that you have to follow a
sequential procedure according to the rules of mathematics including
consideration of all the signs.

Are you aware that the high-end calculators have large memories capable of
storing vast amounts of data? They are no longer just a calculator; they are
laptop computers, complete with ports for that importing data.... including
solution manuals for almost ALL textbookds.

I firmly believe the main thing we teach in engineering is the ability to
think critically in order to solve problems. I banned high-end "calculators"
from my classes long before the engineering examiners banned them. I prefer
my students to learn to think logically rather than to learn how to type.

	Michel Holder