HP3000-L Archives

September 2007, Week 4

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:32:35 -0400
> Sorry.
>
> I promise not to do it again.
>
> But it was probably worth it, if for no other reason than to elicit
> your hilarious response.

I didn't mean to (publicly) admonish you Gilles. I enjoy Steve's rants and
just wanted to share them with the group. I'm glad you enjoyed them because I
posted it in that spirit. Steve (Champeon) sure does have a way with words.

Here's another juicy nugget of List-Mom wisdom:

on Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:11:09AM +0300, "C. Bergstr?m" wrote:
> Is it just me or has this turned more into a list of noobs asking about
> where they can find hosting instead of the quality discussions it once
> used to have..  Well.. all good things must come to an end some time..

C. has left the list, so replies won't reach his disappointed eyes, but
I wanted to take this opportunity to point out to those who remain that
this list is what you make it. Want a discussion of a specific topic?
Start a thread. Want a discussion to take a different direction? Take it
there. Think all the posts are boring and irrelevant? Start a thread or
jump into one and make it useful to you and others, either by asking a
question or taking a position.

When I started the list in 1997, I was responsible for almost half of
the posts for the first couple of months; eventually things got to where
the community could support its own. That's how things work. As I move
more into antispam and messaging security, and away from Web design, I
find I can't contribute to the CSS bugs threads or do much to help out
with Windows-based technologies, but I can help with what I know. Same
goes for all of you here. If you think you've benefited from the list
over the years, from others posting answers or discussions, and you're
in a position to help others, please - chip in. It's good for you as
well as for the lurkers and "noobs".

Matt Haughey has been writing a bit about online community at his new
site, fortuitous:

 http://fortuito.us/2007/05/some_community_tips_for_2007

Worth a read, from one sharp cookie (and [wd] alumnus).

Finally, I'll leave off for now with these two links:

 How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

 The Hacker Milieu as Gift Culture
 http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/homesteading/ar01s06.html

In a nutshell: you get back what you give.