HP3000-L Archives

September 2007, Week 1

From:
"Peter M. Eggers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter M. Eggers
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:17:03 -0700
Franco -

This came up a few months ago.  It depends on the sensitivity of your data
and the value it is to others.  Simply purging the database will leave the
data intact and anyone with a PC containing a SCSI card could easily image
your drives, and then reconstruct the database.  It takes time and effort.
The critical question you have to ask yourself is "How much time and effort
is the data worth to someone else?".  I assume you do not have state secrets
there, but how about HR records?  Private or confidential client
information?  Information valuable to your competition? etc. ...

It makes a big difference whether the data is worth $1,000,000.00 or $100.00
to someone else, as it also makes a difference whether exposure of the data
would be an annoyance to your company or results in a class action lawsuit
for not protecting private data properly.  Knowing the answer to these
questions will decide whether it is a 10 minute job, a 10 hour job, or
physical destruction of the drives job.  Only you know, or should know, the
answer.

- Peter M. Eggers