HP3000-L Archives

August 2007, Week 5

From:
"Peter M. Eggers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter M. Eggers
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:19:20 -0700
I would like to say the same thing about Linux! ;-)  Especially the Ubuntu
distribution as a replacement for Windows.  Yes, I know all about CentOS as
a free version of RHEL, and I do use it for a very stable production level
server OS, but it is not designed as a desktop replacement for Windows.  It
is slow to incorporate most new technology, especially desktop applications,
and concentrates on long term stability.  That is not to say Ubuntu is not
stable as a desktop.  Compared to Windows, I find it much more stable in its
default configuration.  And, you have the selection of old stable boring
apps, newer versions with all the common bugs removed, and the very exciting
bleeding edge versions that might crash from time to time.  An application
crash on Linux is almost never fatal to the OS, and upgrades of everything
but the kernel can be accomplished without a single reboot.
OpenOffice.orgmakes a good replacement for MS Office, unless you make
use of a lot of
document macros, and it has features that MS Office is playing catchup to.
The amount of high quality *free* online support cannot be beat by any OS.
The level of support for many of the supporting applications can be uneven,
but I can't think of any important ones that are down to the level of MS
support.  A 100% of Google and 90+% of the Internet run on Linux and its
apps -- there might be a lesson there!

Linux bigot, Pete