HP3000-L Archives

August 2007, Week 3

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:24:18 -0700
someone wrote
> >In this forum we have the bandwidth to pretty much bypass any type of
> >security built into a HP3000 environment. And to see a request posted
from
> >a YAHOO account asking how to get around security just raises the
hackles
and someone wrote
> >Information and help within the community is a good thing.
> >Just have to be sure who we are helping the right people.

both of which seem to be paranoia.  While said expertise ("bandwidth")
may well be in the heads of some list members, the question isn't even
the least bit about how to break the locks (TopSecret!), it's about how
to use the keys (RTFM!).

The (less ambiguous please <big snip but great read, Roy!>) question's
quite fair; the answer is a pretty straightforward combination of basic
MPE & Image rules.

Back to the perceived paranoia though: Will someone explain to me please
why releasing a database is so evil, even in the face of SOX-armed
auditors?  Can they or anyone break into my database (without passwords
or lots of time?)?  Or can I tell them to RTFM, which might keep them
busy until next audit cycle?

Tracy Pierce