HP3000-L Archives

August 2007, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:18:51 -0400
Hi All,
             I am facing an issue on one of the HP3000 machines I am working
on , the following is my machine spec

       RELEASE: C.75.00 MPE/iX HP31900 C.45.05 USER VERSION: C.75.01

I seem to be getting an error (MPE SECURITY VIOLATION) when

I try to access the Image database across accounts when another user is
using the database (but in read mode).
The following is the actual error
       IMAGE RESULT AT %0000: CONDITION WORD = -1
       MPE SECURITY VIOLATION
       DBOPEN, MODE 5, ON ABDBX
       PROGRAM = TSTUTM.RAJPRG.DSI2
       SUBROUTINE = UTOPENDBX
       LOCATION = DB OPEN

I am running a program (program is run from account1) which extracts data
from [dbase1.account1] and populates [dbase2.account2].Google gave me a
lead in the following link

              http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/doc3k/BB171690020.12039/26

Though it is for  "Information Access Server: Database Administration", there is
one section that talks about security issues ..

*************
     Security Issues.

     Files can be protected by security measures that limit file access across
     accounts.  If this is the case, you can allow PC users to access data as
     follows:

   *   Have users log into the group and account where the files of
       interest reside.

   *   Allow selected MPE users read access to the files by using the
       :ALTGROUP and/or :ALTACCT commands.

   *   Release the files with the :RELEASE command.

   *   Configure the file as a formal file designator, and have the users
       set up file equations to direct the file to the actual file.

***************
I would be very greatful if you can help me resolve this mystry, the following
are my thoughts

1. Does MPE restrict access to database files accross accounts
when "security " is turned on for a file
2. what exactly does the "security" feature for an MPE file actually mean ?
3. I get the MPE security violation error only when two users (one in account1
and another in account2) are trying to access the database in account1.

user1 = opening database in mode1
user2 = opening database in mode5

Request you to kindly assist me in finding out the cause.

Thanks in advance.