UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:12:17 -0400
T.L. Welsh wrote:
> BELOIT COLLEGE RELEASES TENTH ANNUAL MINDSET LIST FOR THE ENTERING POST-COLD
> WAR CLASS OF 2011
>
> Beloit, Wis. -- When they welcome the class of 2011 in the coming weeks,
> American colleges and universities will be saying hello to the generation
> born as the Cold War was ending. For them, a Russia with multiple political
> parties and a China with multiple business enterprises seems quite normal.
> They’ve grown up in a time of triumphant capitalism, where it’s common for
> stadiums to be named after corporations and where product placements have
> always been yet another clever way for companies to sell their wares.
>
> Each August for the past decade, as faculty prepare for the academic year,
> Beloit College in Wisconsin has released the Beloit College Mindset List.

They left out what to me is the most obvious thing:  This year's
freshmen, for the most part, were born in 1989 (or late 1988).  Never in
their lives has there been a President named anything other than Bush or
Clinton.  And with Hillary Clinton running for 2008 and Jeb Bush waiting
in the wings, it is possible that they may live into their late twenties
or even their mid-30s *still* never having seen a President with any
other name.

(Of course, I'm rooting for Ron Paul to break up the streak :)

--
Joe Dumas, Ph.D.
UC Foundation Professor & Acting Head

Notice:  This correspondence should be considered a public record
and subject to public inspection pursuant to the Tennessee Public
Records Act.

"If anything goes bad, I did it.  If anything goes semi-good, then
we did it.  If anything goes really good, then you did it.  That's
all it takes to get people to win football games for you....
There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't care who
gets the credit." -- Paul "Bear" Bryant

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *