UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Jean Howard-Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Howard-Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:10:54 -0400
What is In the Letter Dr. Hill is Handing Out?

There have been several inquiries today as to what is in the letter that I am handing out to only African American males.  I won’t rehash the content of the letter. But so that curiosity does not kill the cat, for those so curious to know, I have attached that letter.

It certainly is no secret how shameful it is to see African American young men with saggy pants. I have been on a crusade for the past four years, which has intensified within the past two years because seemingly the problem has gotten worse with time.  I go wherever I see sagging pants! Whether it is in the streets, among gangs, in the mall, and even at UTC, I am pulling up pants and asking our young men to keep them up, and to think about the images they project. I even patrol Wal-mart, pulling up pants! This is sad.

Seeming me do this, some of you have ask if I am afraid to do this? NO! I have found nothing short of respect from those I have approached. When gang members see me, they pull up their pants because they know the “little pretty short black lady” will pull them up for them! (The description of me is not my own, it’s theirs. I would have been far more complimentary and would have added “young” to it had it been my own!) You would be surprised to see how even the toughest react to discipline when they feel it is out of love. Perhaps also it is that “mother” thing I have going on, and the fact that I will feed them after I pull up their pants. You cannot walk in fear when you see a need  so great, with so few who will do anything about it. Once I pulled up the pants of a young man with a gun in his pocket. I simply said to him, “Son you can shot me if you want to, but I am going to pull up your pants. You want to know why? Because I love you.”

As I pulled up his pants in the back (gun included), this young man as tough as he appeared, broke down and said, “Thank you mame. My bad. Nobody ever told me that they loved me before.”

Not only did he allow me to pull up his pants, but after standing there talking to him for over fifteen minutes just loving on him, he asked me to help him get into Chattanooga State because he wanted to do something with his life.  It turns out that this kid was extremely bright. But no one had stopped to just love him enough to tell him what was right.  From this, and even from working with kids in gangs, I have found that not every African American young male with their pants down wants to go to prison. They just have found themselves caught up in a culture where to resist the fade is not to be cool or keeping it real. Also, sometimes because of “fear”, we find ourselves letting them do things which we know is wrong and ignoring it.

So much for that… I personally have handed out over 300 letters and have about 310 left in order to reach the African-American males at UTC by Tuesday of next week. You have the letter, so if you want to e-mail it to a student, please feel free to do so. Eventually, I will get to the other 310. But for right now, I am so tired from walking this campus for the past 3 hours! But…, it’s a good tired, because I believe it has helped!

Also, for those who would like to encourage these young men to improve their appearance, on September 24th is African American Male Dress For Success Day. If you would like to donate a tie, a dress shirt or pair of pants, socks, and even cologne and shoes for any of the young men who do not have them, please let me know. I am working with local businesses, professionals and etc., to make sure every African American young male who wants to participate in that day is dressed in business attire.

Thanks!

Jean

Dr. Jean Howard-Hill
Political Science Department
419 Fletcher Hall
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37403
423-425-5702

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *