HP3000-L Archives

July 2007, Week 5

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:30:41 -0400
On Tue, July 31, 2007 14:18, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> James -
>
> My solution avoids jumping through any hoops, takes less than 1/2 hour for
> installation, is free along with thousands of apps, and is almost
> impervious
> to future malware infections:  http://www.ubuntu.com/  You knew that was
> coming right?! ;)
>
> - Pete

Personally I prefer, and use, the Linux distro at http://www.centos.org
with OOo and Firefox packages directly from the maintainers rather than
from the distro.  However, as I pointed out at the beginning, "deiss ees
not my dog senor."

I tried the F8 route, but it does not seem to provide an option to go back
to a specific restore point.  Ditto the recovery console.  I did find a
place that details the procedure to follow from the recovery console
command line interface and will give that a try tonight.

As for a clean install... this IS a clean install.  After applying all of
the outstanding service packs and hot fixes I am installing the missing
drivers one at a time, check pointing the system after each modification
exactly to catch this sort of problem without having to go back to scratch
(the Dell recovery disk starts you out at SP1a).  I just got caught on
this driver because the system boots and thus one cannot just go back to
last known good configuration because Windows thinks this one is it. The
system simply stops responding about a minute after start up.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3