HP3000-L Archives

July 2007, Week 4

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:11:51 -0700
it's machine code for IBM 1400 series, maybe others?  this sequence is
used to boot from cards.

Hitting the LOAD button would
read a card into core positions 1-80,
set a wordmark in position 1,
and branch there.

comma is SetWordmark, the next 6 chars are 2 three-char addresses.  so
,007014 would set wordmarks for the next two instructions to be
executed, then the cpu would move to the next address and (now
wordmarked, a cross-check requirement for executing an instruction)
execute the instruction there.  continue the pattern a bit, and soon you
have wordmarks set under 'real' instructions with which to do some work.

the 1st 3 cards in a deck are the bootstrap code, which would do the
self-start as above and then load the rest of your program into
contguous memory, then branch there.  I don't remember many addresses,
but 1-80 = card reader, 101-180 = card punch, 201-332 = line printer.

sorry, I don't recognize the 2nd one.

Tracy Pierce