HP3000-L Archives

July 2007, Week 2

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:19:50 -0400
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:14:39 -0700, Larry Page <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thank you, for the details. We are looking to encrypt one field in some
>of the datsets that we have, i.e encryption of data in the database.

May I ask what you are trying to accomplish by encrypting this one field?
PCI compliance? SOX? Something else? I'm just trying to understand
that encryption of the data is really a requirement vs. other possible
solutions like encrypted links or encrypted backups. Remember, you can
tighten up TurboIMAGE security to the field level.

> you mention external routines, are there routines readily available which
> can be used on the MPE?

When I originally started my project, I picked up the AES reference
implementation and ported it to MPE. For my testing, that was a fairly
easy thing to accomplish. However, my needs were more involved and I
ultimately hand tooled the AES routines into PA-RISC assembly since that
code needed to be embedded into compression routines that were already
in assembly. You won't need to go that far and the reference implementation
may be fine for your needs.

> I agree that AES is a better encryption procedure, but programming that
> will be time consuming, it would be great if there was a pre-tested and
> packaged routine was avaialbel for MPE....

OpenSSL has been ported to MPE by others and it may also provide you
with a solution, if encryption of the data is the only way you can satisfy
your need.

Your real issue may be in calling these from COBOL.

Regards,

M.