HP3000-L Archives

June 2007, Week 3

From:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:12:01 +0100
As most of you esteemed HP3000 gurus will know,  the FTP client on the
HP3000 (FTP.ARPA.SYS) was (or is) a port of the unix FTP client but it
has built-in extensions so that it can cater for legacy MPE files.

Also,  you can get files from non-MPE file systems and add MPE
characteristics to the file - essentially adding the mpe build
characterstics at the point of getting the file.

I've been googling around to discover whether there's a FTP client that
can be installed on an HP3000 (that runs in command mode via the posix
shell) that's only aware of files in the POSIX domain and can only
transfer files in bytestream format.

Essentially I'm looking for a FTP client that can run on the HP3000 that
knows nothing about MPE file types ! Or to put it another way, an FTP
client that can run on MPE that is identical to the Unix FTP client that
comes bundled with HP-UX !.

I've already discovered that the FTP Server on the HP3000 has a
posix-only mode.  Even then - the server continues to support
translation between MPE and non-MPE systems.  And I also know that the
FTP client can be set in Byte-stream mode.

For anyone that's read this far, you might be wondering why I want to
bypass the MPE's excellent FTP client in the first place ! Well it's a
long story,  but it basically goes along the line of trying to prepare
our system for migration (to MPUX and Acucobol) and I'm in the middle of
typing up the migration specification for our internal FTP subroutine
which currently interacts directly to the MPE FTP client.   I'm
perfectly happy that we could convert the FTP subroutine to work on the
HP-UX server,  but I'm just looking at the problem from a different
angle !

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient and may not be disclosed. Although it is believed that this email and any attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to confirm this.

Details of Smith & Williamson group companies and Nexia Smith & Williamson Audit Limited and their regulators (where applicable), can be found at this URL

http://www.smith.williamson.co.uk/disclosure