HP3000-L Archives

June 2007, Week 1

From:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:40:05 +0100
Jack - the SAN is independantly connected to the network.  The HP3000's
VA is not directly connected to the network but is part of the HP's
internal storage.  Hidden in my original question was the implication
that the SAN was broadcasting some special type of network traffic which
was somehow flooding the network and the HP3000 or its own VA was having
to spend time dealing with interrupts from these messages.

Here's an update on my original post.

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions - especially Craig Lalley
who makes me realise as soon as you ask one question, then you realise
there's a whole raft of other (more technical) questions that need to be
answered first before the context of the problem can be understood and
resolved.

For now the problem has gone away - but we're still not absolutely sure
what the original cause was (we're waiting for some logfiles to be
analysed by HP).

Here's a status report (an edited version of another email).

<clip>

Just for reference,  we're thinking that the problem all along was the
failure of one of the Mirrored disks on the VA and - for whatever reason
- it took a very long time for the new drive to resync itself after a
new disk was swapped in by an HP engineer.

Just a quick rewind of the problem....

a) we started noticing the end of day was taking a bit longer than
normal
b) I spotted that the disk to disk backups were partly to blame (had
suddently started taking twice as long for the same amount of data)
whilst the backup to tape (LTO) of the same data was not affected.
c) Other overnight programs that write to disk heavily were also
affected whilist jobs that simply read data were performing normally.

We then tried to work out what the problem was and it just so happened
that a new SAN was turned on (and connected) to the network the same
weekend that the HP started to degrade.

Since then, we have been trying to isolate the cause and our operator
spotted a few days ago that one of the lights on the VA was amber and we
got HP to swap the disk unit over.    In the meantime, we also asked the
network team to turn off the SAN and turn it back on again comparing the
results of the main disk to disk backup.

As I say, the jury's dismissed the SAN as the root cause of the problem.

<end clip>