UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Richard Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:01:58 -0400
I have found this recent exchange very interesting, but I have a question
for the experts who have participated in this exchange.  I know that robins
--at least -- do not abandon their young even after a touching.  I once
stumbled on a robin's nest while working on my house.  I barely touched the
nest and was fearful I had doomed the young, but happily the mother was not
offended and feed the young until they could fly away.  On the other hand, a
small finch-like bird made a nest in a fern in a hanging basket on my porch.

I moved the basket, discovered the nest, and then carefully  did not touch
the nest.  I replaced the basket and yet the small bird did not return to
hatch the eggs.  Any ideas why this bird abandoned the nest?