HP3000-L Archives

May 2007, Week 5

From:
Connie Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 16:48:07 -0400
Hello HP community:

We have a secure web server at http://secure.cfa.org which provides
access to CFA services for our customers.  Some of our Vista users
are reporting difficulty accessing this site, when their 'old' PC's
had no problem.  (See below for an example - this customer found that
by uninstalling McAfee he was able to access the secure site just
fine).

Any suggestions?  Have you run into this personally?  I invite any of
you with the VIsta OS to try to access the page, (just see if you can
get to the Login screen) and provide me some feedback.

Many thanks in advance,
Connie Sellitto

=== Message from a Vista user =====

Hi Connie,

I'm writing this from memory (as my Vista OS laptop is at home, and I'm
at work).

When I tell my browser to go to http://secure.cfa.org/ it comes back
with "page can not be displayed."  This is using IE 7 with 256 bit
encryption

Vista gives you an option to "diagnose" the problem - and comes back and
says it can not automatically fix the problem.

When I tell my Firefox browser to go to this website - it returns a
blank page.

I even went so far as to download and try Opera browser last night - and
it also did not return any page.

Note:  All browsers can get to www.cfa.org with no problems.

I have been doing lots of reading on accessing gated/secure websites
with VISTA and problems users are having - and stumbled across a blog
where someone acknowledged security anomalies between Vista and these
types of sites - and suggested there was a server side patch that needed
to happen (though I can not find that blog again - I've looked).

The computer/screen doesn't lock up - it just doesn't return the
website.  I know my computer is accessing secure.cfa.org, as the menu
bar tells me "waiting for secure.cfa.org" - as well as the fact I can
ping the address with no troubles.

In IE 7 - I've even gone as far as adding *.cfa.org as a trusted site
and adding secure.cfa.org as a trusted site.

That's all I can remember from memory - tonight when I get home - I'll
try again and give you the exact verbiage from the Internet Explorer 7.

I'm still reading more from the various blogs and boards on the web and
trying other suggested solutions - but to this point - I have not found
a solution.  If I do run across the blog that suggested a server side
patch - I'll forward that do you as well.

If you have any suggestions for me Vista setting-wise - I'm open to
trying it.  I feel it is a Vista issue and not a browser or server issue
- since all my other computers (running other operating systems) work
fine, and none of the browsers I've tried on my Vista machine seem to be
able to return the website.  It seems like it is some security issue -
but I've turned off every security "bell and whistle" I've been able to
find - to no avail.

Open to suggestions :-)

Jay

--