HP3000-L Archives

May 2007, Week 4

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 11:18:28 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Anne Howard
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hi All

<snip>

Cognos Quiz is a language in and of its own.  Simple to learn and very
powerful.
Personally I find Cognos Quiz easier for quick reporting.  One thing
that
Cognos Quiz does that I like is the self defined subfile that can be
read like a
table and linked to tables in the database.  It's like it is the
dictionary without
having to put it in the dictionary.  Opening and linking tables works
very
differently between Cognos and Speedware.

Cognos QTP is great for data repair.

Anne Howard
IT Professional

A word of caution to this tale...

When passing the lair of the Cognos beast, keep both hands firmly
planted on your wallet!

Cognos licensing to me represents everything wrong with the MPE vendor
licensing model that so decimated the 3000 landscape, and cost HP so
much money in hardware upgrades, as companies balked at the cost of
software upgrades and so canceled or delayed the purchase of a new
machine.

Not to mention currently being forced to pay for technical support +
upgrades we do not want just so we have the ability to get a new license
key in the event of an emergency or hardware failure.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... etc.