HP3000-L Archives

April 2007, Week 2

From:
Chuck Trites <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Trites <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 05:32:22 -0700
The "Industry" that uses this product is a strange breed as well.  When I'm looking for work and get "desperate", I sometimes apply for positions calling for "experienced" AMISYS people.  EVERY TIME I get the "this is a complicated product and requires only experienced AMISYS programmers".  They all admit that the product is difficult to work with, data comes from many different sources etc...  I'm sorry, but COBOL is COBOL and writing software in RPG, FORTRAN and COBOL has nothing to do with where the data comes from and how complicated the data structure might be.  If you understand the data base structure and know how to write code and test it, you can do the job.  Also, the turnover at these places is very high.  It's always the same companies who can't hang on to people.  It's no different than other medical software I've worked with in that the data is scattered everywhere.  Ever notice that when you fill out forms at the Doctor's office they ask for some of  the same
 data on every form they have ?  That's AMISYS, I've been told.

    My .02

  Chuck

Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Quoting J Dolliver :

> As for "What does the name AMISYS stand for"
>
> Nothing

AMISYS: Another Messy Information SYStem - ???

Need Mail bonding?