UTCSTAFF Archives

April 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Chuck Cantrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Cantrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:41:56 -0400
Remember, official University announcements should be made to UTCINFO
and not duplicated to UTCSTAFF. The address to send an official message
is [log in to unmask]

Also a reminder about using UTC email to promote commercial enterprise--

I've noticed several emails floating around on UTCSTAFF lately promoting
different kinds products and events at local businesses and services by
individuals.  While the tips are very helpful and nothing beats
word-of-mouth advertising, I must remind every one that state law
prohibits the use of university resources to promote the gain or profit
of commercial enterprises or individuals.

The one official exception to this rule--As a function of communication,
the Employee Relations Committee can issue announcements of benefits to
University employees by businesses but cannot endorse the use of said
businesses.

As we've tried to manage the list over the years, a few use guidelines
have also developed.

The Splitting Hairs Rule:  Requests for recommendations for reputable
tradespersons and businesses are acceptable to UTCSTAFF, but responses
should be made off list to the individuals requesting the information.
Please do not post a final listings of the responses received to the
list.  If someone wants a copy of the list that is generated, please
contact the individual off list to see if they are willing to share
their responses.

Please do not recommend individuals on the list.

The Don't Ask, Don't Tell Rule:  For sale items and garage sales by UTC
faculty and staff members are accepted to the list. This also covers the
stray dog and cat offers.

And last but not least, The Straddle the Fence Rule:  From time to time
folks post announcements about activities in the community: music at
this local club, a play at that community theatre, an exhibit at museum
A, a concert at church B.  I can't tell what's for profit and what's
not. We're all grownups here, so I depend on you to be self-monitoring
to some extent.

Please be sensitive to the legalities at play when making non-UTC
related announcements on the UTCSTAFF list.

To put all of this in Frankensteinese--   Non-profit--good.
For-profit--not good.

Thanks.  Chuck.

Chuck Cantrell
Assistant Vice Chancellor, University Relations
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
203 Founders Hall
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN  37403
(423) 425-4363
(423) 425-5299 (fax)

This correspondence should be considered a public record and subject to
public inspection pursuant to the Tennessee Public Records Act.

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *