UTCSTAFF Archives

April 2007

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Callora Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Callora Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:33:37 -0400
Greetings,

On April 28, 2007, I (along with my team and others) will be walking for Cystic Fibrosis at River Park and are asking for donations.  Of course, this is for non-profit and if you would like to make a donation, please email me off list, as I have the form in my office.

Team Name:  Hearth Fire Spiritual Alliance
Team Leader:  Kim Smiley (423-326-0289)
Location:  River Park
Time:    9:00 am
Date:  April 28, 2007

If you need any other information, please feel free to contact me at ext. 2339 -OR- you can contact the Team Leader at the phone number given above.

A little information about CF:

Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease that causes thick, sticky mucus to build up in the lungs and digestive tract. It is the most common type of chronic lung disease in children and young adults, and may result in early death.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors...

Cystic fibrosis (CF) is caused by a defective gene which tells the body to produce abnormally thick and sticky fluid, called mucus. This mucus builds up in the breathing passages of the lungs and the pancreas, the organ that helps to break down and absorb food. This collection of sticky mucus results in life-threatening lung infections and serious digestion problems. The disease may also affect the sweat glands and a man's reproductive system.

Millions of Americans carry the defective CF gene, but do not have any symptoms. That's because a person with CF must inherit two defective CF genes -- one from each parent. An estimated 3% to 10% of Caucasians have the CF gene. The disease is the most common, deadly, inherited disorder affecting Caucasians in the United States. It's more common among those of Northern or Central European descent.

Most children are diagnosed with CF by their 1st birthday. A small number, however, are not diagnosed until age 18 or older. These patients usually have a milder form of the disease.

Thank you,

Callora

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *