HP3000-L Archives

March 2007, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:49:05 -0400
We're having periodic network outages to outside our building (inside
seems O.K.) it was probably our Gateway.  A side effect I noticed, is
our JINETD gets hung (inbound FTP and Telnet fail.)  Stopping inetd with
-k also fails.

The only cure seems a reboot.  (I haven't tried just shutting down NS,
but if I've gone that far, I may as well reboot.)  One good thing is our
users use almost NS/VT exclusively. so I can put off the reboot.

I'm thinking the probable root cause, is the HP does a reverse lookup of
an incoming session when it is Telnet or FTP, if it can't reach the
Gateway to do the lookup, incoming Telnets fails even locally.  (Which
is why NS/VT still works, because the HP doesn't care where the incoming
NS/VT session comes from.)

Tracy Johnson
Measurement Specialties, Inc.

BT