HP3000-L Archives

March 2007, Week 2

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:15:33 -0400
> what business of Congress was it to find investigate his relationship to
> Lewinsky?

Ah, to answer that one, we must go back to the 1992 election. At the time, one
of the knocks on Bill was his wandering...er...eye. Some felt that if it were
a compulsion, it could be used against him in some way and by that I assume
people meant blackmail of some kind. It was at this time a very reluctant
Paula Jones was drawn into a movement to file charges against a President Bill
Clinton.

It took some time to determine the legality of suing a sitting President and
the saga dragged on into the next election cycle and at that time Ross Perot
was quoted by the NY Times: http://tinyurl.com/2d75xt

"Reform Party Presidential nominee Ross Perot, in speech to over 500 people at
St Mary's University in San Antonio, Texas, keeps up his attack on Pres
Clinton's character and predicts that if Clinton is re-elected, he will become
mired in scandal in his second term". I always thought that Ross was a nut,
especially about that giant sucking sound, but maybe he had a point...

Anyway, in the he-said-she-said-argument, the prosecution for Ms. Jones was
looking for a "pattern of behavior" that would prove her point that Bill
Clinton was quite capable of the accusation. It was during this investigation
that President had his affair with Ms. Lewinsky, who was a subordinate just as
Ms. Jones was, albeit a much more willing and aggressive one. When Ms.
Lewinsky confessed her affair to one Linda Tripp, Ms. Tripp felt obligated in
sharing this information with the Independent Council, which was investigating
President Clinton for an entirely different accusation involving a local land
development called "Whitewater".

After several other women came forward to discuss their experiences with Bill
Clinton, the Jones case was thrown out by Judge Susan Webber-Wright who
explained the "one grope rule". Men can try once but if rebuked, the man
should not advance. Since Bill Clinton did not try to advance on Ms. Jones,
she felt there was no harassment. Case closed.

However President Clinton still had Starr on his butt. When questioned under
oath, the IC asked Bill about "that women, Ms. Lewinsky" under oath - and just
like Scooter Libby - Bill was less than candid. IMHO, this is where Bill
Clinton should have told the IC to go pound sand. He would have had garnered a
lot more support had he made a principled stand at that point. Alas,...

My complaint with Bill:

- Not with employees in your organization. Get a hooker like all the other
Presidents did.

- Don't do the Country's business and yours at the same time. He really could
have been blackmailed by Monica he she wanted to.

- Don't let it get in the way of your job, like making heads of state wait
while...

> Newt and his failing of god and then asking and of course receiving
> forgiveness.
> Not only a hypocrite but also full of s...

That may be, but he didn't violate the law.