HP3000-L Archives

February 2007, Week 1

From:
Raphael Sulkovitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:19:25 +0000
You are right, it is confusing when watts are used in that way, but, as you know, lumens are the generally used measure of illumination, whereas energy consumed is measured in watts.  If I am not mistaken, fluorescent bulbs use about a fifth of the wattage of incadescent bulbs for the same number of lumens.  So, if one doesn't need a 0-60-miles/hour-in-3-seconds kind of bulbs, then fluorescent bulbs are a sensible choice. They also tend to last a very long time.  They are far from ideal, but the tradeoffs favor their use.  It took Moses 40 years of roaming in the desert to change the minds of his clueless followers, but at the end they got religion, and switched to more efficient forms of energy use.

From: Dave <[log in to unmask]>