HP3000-L Archives

January 2007, Week 4

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:58:51 -0800
It was posted:

[snip]
>In the present application, there are couple of COBOL
>programs. We use concept of segmenter in executing these programs.
>
>There is one file called SL ( Segmened Library). This file contains
>executable segments for all the programs.
>Whenever we make any changes in any program, first we compile
>the program and the compiled segments are collected into an USL
file(User
>Subprogram Library file). These segments in the USL file, replace the
original
>segments in the SL file ( Segmented Library file).

[snipped for brevity]

>Now our problem in the present context is, we didn't get any
>errors in the compilation procedure. We successfully replaced the old
>segments in the SL file with the new segments from the USL file.
>But when we execute the entire application, the changes in the source
>program are taken into effect on the screen in the application.
[snipped]

If you used the procedures included in the attached document then you
are making some mistakes in using usl/sl files.

The two obvious mistakes are:

1. You have created what you think is your new sl called slt. However,
you
   don't show that you ever rename the original sl file and then rename
   the new slt as sl. segmented libraries have the name 'sl'.

2. You haven't correctly managed the usl and subsequent appropriate
segment
   for the updated program. So, even if you got the sl correct you will
   still have problems. I cannot give you what to do because it depends
on
   the way the usl/sl files were managed and the naming convention of
segments.

I would recommend that you:

a. get a copy of the segmenter manual (docs.hp.com)
b. use 'listusl' against the large usl file to see how the segments are
   organized and use 'listsl' against the sl to see how the segments are
   organized. You should see the segments in the usl correspond to the
   segments in the sl.
c. once you have learned about a/b then keep this in mind: you organize
your
   segment(s) as you want them in the usl file first and then your purge
the
   segment from the sl and then add it to the sl from the usl.
d. one final clue: every time you compile you get segments named
'seg#'... you
   can't be using these segment names or you would be trashing previous
changes
   every time you made a change to a different module.

good luck on your adventure!

duane