HP3000-L Archives

December 2006, Week 2

From:
Dave Vogt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Vogt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:40:32 -0500
I was wondering if anybody out here in the HP3000 world is using Magtek MT-
80 or MT-95 magnetic card encoders (I use them here to encode ATM cards).

I have my units hooked up to a HP3000/987 system on an ATP port.  I’m using
COBOL to pass the data to the encoder to write/read an ATM card.

I am having success in doing this, but I would like to know how somebody else
out here may be doing something similar with the same set up that I have.

I am particularly interested in how you may be handling hex 0d 0a issues at
the start and or end of your record writes.

I ran into a problem when we upgraded to the MT-95 encoder where the
HP3000 system was inserting the hex 0d 0a at the end of the record.  The MT-
80 ignored it but the MT-95 responded back with an invalid data error on the
unit when it encountered the hex 0d 0a at the end of the record.

When I changed the logic in the program to say WRITE ATM-CARD AFTER
ADVANCING 0, it removed the HEX 0d 0a from the end of the record and
instead inserted HEX 0d 0a 0d at the beginning of the record!!!  The MT-95
now works but I was just wondering how somebody else might be doing this.

Or if you are interested in doing this, I can share with you my experience,
NMMGR configuration, program logic, and how to wire the thing.

You can e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

Thanks

Dave Vogt
Miller Compressing Company