HP3000-L Archives

November 2006, Week 5

From:
Michael Caplin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Caplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:55:43 -0500
I've been putting this off for as long as I can but I can't hide from it
anymore.  A migration is going to happen, I need to figure out which path
to take.  The envronment is COBOL, Quick & Dictionary but none of the other
Powerhouse components, View, Image, KSAM (old & new), MSGFiles, lots of
intrinsic calls from COBOL, the streams have some fancy stuff but not too
much.  The Quick screens are very ugly with a lot of COBOL calls.  We also
have COBOL74 programs that just won't run right in 85. The decision has
been made to go to HPUX, everything else is up in the air.

I've read the messages posted and I've been to the Speedware, Ordina, etc
websites.

I have a feeling that some day after going down the right fork in the road,
I'm going to say, 'I should have gone to the left'.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can read about some recent hands-on
developers who have gone thru this - besides what's posted on this list.
It was helpful but a lot of it is old so I wonder if it's still relevant.
Problems that someone had with a product in 2003 could be solved by now.  I
don't trust what I hear from the vendors.  I'm lookijg for real-life
stories.

Mike