HP3000-L Archives

November 2006, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:15:11 -0700
At 9:39 AM -0600 11/6/06, Vance, Jeff H (Cupertino) wrote:

>Although we have fully implemented and tested a fix to allow LFDS to
>work correctly, HP has decided not to release it. This is due in part to
>the data structure changes that were required for the fix. These changes
>would require significant modifications to some user applications and to
>most third-party database tools.

It is really sad to realize that the result of all of that effort by
HP will never see the light of day, but the alternatives would have been
much worse.

In fact, not only database tools would be affected.  For instance,
fast-speed report writers would be affected, as well as many other
applications that take advantage of TurboIMAGE's underlying privileged
file system to bypass DBGET, DBPUT, etc.

It is noteworthy that underlying privileged data structures are NOT
guaranteed (by any vendor) to remain stable.  HP could have easily
changed these privileged data structures to suit HP's own purposes.
It is the responsibility (and duty) of privileged-mode programmers
(whether in-house or third-party) to do whatever it takes to keep
abreast whenever the vendor changes privileged material.  In this case,
HP chose to sacrifice the results of its own development process to
avoid inflicting a painful blow to the worldwide HP 3000 community.

May LFDS rest in peace.

>Therefore, HP instead recommends using
>Jumbo data sets for those applications that require more than 4GB of
>data in a single data set.

The fly in the ointment, of course, is that Jumbo datasets do NOT (yet)
support dynamic capacity expansion (whereas LFDS supported DDX/MDX).

The ray of hope, of course, is that Jumbo datasets can be larger than
128 GB (whereas LFDS were limited to 128 GB).

So, the ideal solution would be for HP to implement DDX/MDX for Jumbo
datasets.  But that is another story for another day.

>You can download this tool and find more detailed information at
>http://jazz.external.hp.com/LFDS.

I highly recommend that you do this ASAP.  HP has provided the tools
to make sure that you eliminate the possibility of unintentionally
creating LFDS data structures if you use DBSCHEMA in any way
(explicitly or implicitly).  Now, all you have to do is use HP's
tools.  Pronto!

  _______________
 |            r  |  Alfredo                  http://www.adager.com
 |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
 |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
 |    d          |  Adager Corporation
 |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.