UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2006

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:24:12 -0500
We had this same type of thing at another university. The halls became flooded with unidentifieds. Soon after we had three sexual assaults in the same girls bathroom in broad daylight in one week followed by two more the next month. I in all, a series of 17 sexual assaults and attempted assault in one semester. Once perps figure out there is not barrier between them and the students... all hell breaks lose. i walk around my department every time I leave and confronbt indidivuals who do not belong. While this is not suggested it is simply something I do. I have chased individuals out of the building at 1:ooAM, only to be lectured that I should not have left the doors open when I entered. Of course i never leave the doors open but it seems easier to blame me than the perps. My suggestion... quit being polite and start being on task. You do not have to confront someone in order for them to know that you know they do not belong and making it obviuos that you are going to remember there face lets them know you are serious. Any potential parent, student or business will understand if it turns out you were wrong. when I am in the hall i make a habit of asking every signle person I see not waling with a direction in mind if i can help them. the students will tell you that I often escort "lost souls" to rooms they say they can not find and wait to make sure they go in.

stuart