UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2006

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Gavin Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:55:26 -0500
I admire Joe's Libertarian constancy. But I agree with Mike. It's outrageous
that we have students on this campus who lack even the most basic health
insurance. At least once a year I hear about some UTC students who, having
no recourse to affordable low-level health care, allow themselves to get so
sick they have to be hauled off to the ER.

Just recently the SGA enthusiastically endorsed a plan that would allow the
university to charge students an additional $40 per term to cover the cost
of a swimming pool for the new Wellness Center.  I wonder: would the SGA, if
given a chance, endorse a student fee to cover the cost of treating all UTC
students for free at the UTC PolyClinic?  Thinking bigger, what would the
SGA say to a plan to expand the PolyClinic into a real infirmary?

I know fitness centers, pools, and fancy workout facilities are sexy. But
I'd wager a good number of our students would also endorse a fee (even a
"tax"!) to cover the cost of full-service, free student health care for all
current UTC students.

Maybe our colleague Dr. Gregory Heath has some ideas on this?

Gavin Townsend
Faculty Senate Pres.