UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2006

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:07:44 -0500
Mike Russell wrote:
> Many of our students do not have private medical insurance.

Good point.  But, many do ... whether they are "traditional" younger
students who are covered under their parents' insurance, or whether they
are older students who have their own insurance through an employer, or
whatever ...

> We now are requiring students to pay an athletics fee every semester. Why don't we have a health care fee?

Because two wrongs don't make a right?

The athletics fee is a horrible precedent.  Most of the students I know
couldn't care less about athletics, yet they are now forced to pay this
fee to subsidize sports teams (expensive, but still losing football in
particular).  Actually, the term "fee" is a misnomer.  Money you pay to
make use of a service that you *want* to use is indeed a "fee."  But
money you are forced to pay whether or not you use the services being
offered is a "tax."

> When I was a freshman in college I spent three or four days in the college infirmary with the flu. The cost was borne by a mandatory health fee.

I remember such fees, not particularly fondly, though I dimly remember
going to the school clinic maybe once or twice.  Of course, that was
then and this is now, and the whole health care situation is a lot
different.  As tuition and other "fees" continue to rise, I'd be loath
to impose yet another tax on our students for a service that relatively
few of them will ever use.

> Perhaps there is something about this problem that I do not understand.

I sympathize with your desire to do something to help sick students, and
if someone were to propose a *voluntary* health fee I could support it
... just as I could support a *voluntary* fee that would provide
admission to sports events, or any other optional activity.  Here's a
radical idea: let's allow those who make use of a given service to pay
for it, and leave the others alone.

Joe

--
Joe Dumas, Ph.D.
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Notice:  This correspondence should be considered a public record
and subject to public inspection pursuant to the Tennessee Public
Records Act.

"One man with courage is a majority." -- Thomas Jefferson

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *