HP3000-L Archives

October 2006, Week 4

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:51:39 -0400
I would bet that VMS speaks SNMP, as does the 3000. While I've read that
SNMP is becoming less important for system health and notification, it's
better than nothing. There are a number of tools that will query systems and
handle SNMP responses. My last 3000 shop used What's Up, although it never
did much work to have it talk to the 3000, unfortunately.

I like to ask, who watches the watchers? Can you imagine a reasonable
scenario, such as losing power or network connectivity, that would mean that
the monitoring either was down or could not report the problem? Sure, it's
unlikely, but it's not impossible.

At the other end of the problem, I will admit to writing a job that was a
wrapper for a set of command files that checked the system for certain
states, and reported their exceptions. Things like background jobs not
running, or the number of jobs waiting increasing over three samples. That's
fine for OS & application states, local to the system.

Greg