HP3000-L Archives

October 2006, Week 2

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:22:27 -0400
donna hofmeister wrote:
> doing a bit of research regarding slt's.
>
> when you make an slt, are you adding anything to the tape?  that is,
> are you specifying extra files be stored?       - d
IMHO, The SLT should have everything required  to accomplish the first
four steps of a
system INSTALL:. 1. Boot from Alternate Path to ISL, 2. Install MPE/iX
to the Primary Path,
3. Restore @[log in to unmask],@[log in to unmask], & all diagnostics. 4. Reboot to ISL and
START.

Notes from experience over time:
A. It is also very important to also have the HP Factory media handy.
Some bugs in the past
created SLT tapes that would validate but were non functional. And, it
is possible that disk
errors or more frequently patch errors can result in a series of  SLTs
that have latent problems.
These HP Factory media should be stored in a safe place with a note on
the console with a
clue to where this safe place is.

B. It is very common for SLTs to play hide and seek. It is not at all
amusing to play this
game at 2:30am. It is a good idea to have multiple copies, one stored in
a safe place and
another physically attach  to the system in a folder/envelope that also
contains a SYSGEN
or better yet a SYSINFO configuration listing. If the stable storage is
lost due to a replacement
of a processor or main board, establishing the correct alternate and
primary boot paths from
the configuration listing is preferable to the trial and error method.

C. If you have disk arrays it is a good idea to have a separate
dedicated console ( if applicable)
and  have the MPE/iX based diagnostics (if applicable) included in the
SLT tape. These arrays
work very well, until they don't. The host based diagnostics usually
have a more comprehensive
command set, and are far easier to use than the array front panel or
direct connected console.

D. If you have a CD attached to the system it is a good idea to acquire
the the HP diagnostics
CD and keep it physically attached to the system. The CD can load the
Offline Diagnostic
Environment (ODE) at least 100 times faster than the SLT tape.
http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=ER

Also, as a PLUG for Beechglen's support services, build into our support
coverage is
testing of our customer's SLTs and a full disaster recover test. It is
one thing to think
that you have all the necessary components. It is much better to have an
independent
party perform a complete end to end test.

Cordially,
Mike Hornsby
CTO Beechglen Development Inc.
Support for MPE since 1988