HP3000-L Archives

October 2006, Week 1

From:
J Dolliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:40:59 +0000
DDT damage
The Mexican Government plans to phase out DDT in malaria control over the next ten years in favour of an integrated pest management (IPM) approach. It is prioritizing a reduction in organochlorine pesticides such as DDT because of the link between organochlorines and cancers. The Government also plans to enhance the enforcement of restrictions against DDT use in agriculture, which continues despite being made illegal in 1990. The Ministry of Health reported organochlorine residues in 146 out of 439 samples examined between 1993 and 1995. Food contamination could account for the occurrence of unexpectedly high levels of DDE, a breakdown product of DDT, in the breast milk of women in Mexico City. According to an Environmental Health Perspectives report, Mexico is the leading DDT user in Latin America, and breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among Mexican women.
Pesticide Monitor, vol 5, no 2.

-------------- Original message from Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>: --------------