HP3000-L Archives

September 2006, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:38:17 EDT
Denys writes:

> It may well be that (if it's the same data all the time,) you have some
> garbage characters in the data itself.  A pair of backspaces (BS, 8h) might
> be imbedded in the data.  If you are displaying on the screen, turn on
> Display Functions.  If it's in a spoolfile, check out the contents on the
> disk.

Denys is right. The cause of misregistered prints is often due to
non-printable characters. However there is a caveat in Denys' recommendation. Not all
terminals or emulators are created equally. Nulls are often the cause of these
problems, but they don't show up on most terminals, display functions mode or
not.

Because of this, when we assembled QCTerm, we made sure that when the
terminal is in display functions mode, all characters are displayed. If you only
download and use QCTerm for this one functionality, it will pay for itself many
times over in just a few minutes, especially given that it's free to begin with.

Wirt Atmar