HP3000-L Archives

September 2006, Week 4

From:
William Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:11:23 -0700
I agree Mike - I have always felt a bit defensive telling people I am programming in BASIC here but the ability to test it interpretively (and it stops when there is a problem!) - then compile it puts it at the top of my list!

HP seemed to treat BASIC 3000 as sort of a quick thrown together language - no built in ability to call SORT (We use of course the SPL routine) and writing some larger VIEW programs can be a challange (limited to 255 byte strings) - solved by BB) but overall this is a quick and easy to develope platform!

Can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to track memory leaks in C - or writing 100 statements in COBOL when BASIC could do it much more efficiently -

Bill
  Milke said:

  ----- Original My preference is not use image statements at all. I much prefer to use a
  print string and load it directly with the desired data items.
  This method is much easier to get exactly the desired results.
  print a$

  Basic Forever!

  Mike Hornsby
  Beechglen Development Inc.