HP3000-L Archives

September 2006, Week 4

From:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:38:11 -0400
Shawn Gordon wrote:

I remember a while back that I challenged you to
provide certain data regarding human evolution,
and you, like every magazine I've written and
every newgroup I've posted to, were unable to
provide such simple information.  I'll repeat the
challenge in case you don't remember:

* I want to see a global map that indicates how
many intact skeletons of each pre-homo sapien has
been found and where.  I also want to see how
many are based on partial skeletons and what it
was, I've read reports of a partial jaw bone
found 5 miles from a piece of arm and some
declaring a whole new branch.  I also want to see
what dating method was used to verify the age
since we all know that carbon dating is only good
for between 30k and 70k years (depending on who
you believe), but there is no empirical evidence
of dating that goes more than about 5,000 years
(as a scientist, this should really bug you).

===
By a remarkable coincidence that same Scientific American has an article
related to this:

** ASK THE EXPERTS

What are the odds of a dead dinosaur becoming fossilized?

Paleontologist Gregory M. Erickson of Florida State University
explains.
http://cl.exct.net/?ffcb10-fe5e1c79756c047f7015-fdf21573746702797613787c-ff3310707762