HP3000-L Archives

August 2006, Week 3

From:
john pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
john pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:15:32 +1000
Ray, IIRC redim in Cobblers allows you to lay one data definition over the
space previously defined for another variable, ie give the same storage two
data type definitions.

NO, BB does not provide this capability. The REDIM others have mentioned was
in B/V (and maybe bb) to allow you to change the size of an array.

I once wrote routines in SPL to allow B/V to move data between data types,
or do conversion from a type not supported by B/V to one it did allow - eg
32bit ints to floats and back, convert packed decimal to long float.
Its only a couple of lines of C to move/convert data types in a
subroutine... we will have them here somewhere....do you want me to look?

One way to do it is have a binary work file that you can write one data type
to, and read back as another. Eg we used to write data to sort files from
image and append the record address short ints to the end from the status
array, but read them back as 4 bytes, and pass them as key to a mode 4
DBGET, and it works fine AS LONG AS THE FILE IS FB type.

Hth

jp