HP3000-L Archives

August 2006, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:40:04 EDT
Terry asks:

> We have a project that requires we mirror a folder structure on two
>  servers.
>  This is a 'one way' mirror application.  By that I mean we want to have
>  the files on server A, update the
>  files on server B every night.  Any changes to the files on server B
>  will be overwritten.
>
>  Does anyone on the list have a tool for this they recommend?  I have a
>  limited amount of bandwidth available, so
>  a 'dumb' copy isn't a viable option.   The solution has to be smart
>  enough to recognize when a file hasn't been updated
>  and skip that file.
>  A block level check would be great, but those seem a bit pricy and we
>  are on a budget.

If your servers are Windows-based PCs, we do that here with two products,
FTP-Voyager and Serv-U:

     http://www.ftpvoyager.com/

The combination works extremely well. The programs only transfer over the
modified files every night, checking for both size and time modifications. More
than that, for some of the really big but less important comparisons, multiple
scripts can be instituted so that some folders are checked every night, others
once a week, and others yet again only once a month.

Because the PC you're transferring to is already a server, you technically
don't need the Serv-U receiving end software, but I'd strongly recommend it
anyway because the Voyager products support a time synchronizing standard, MDTM,
that most UNIX/Linux servers don't, and because they don't, things can get
really bolixed up when backups of the backups have to be restored to the receiving
server.

Wirt Atmar