UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2006

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:05:48 -0400
The numbers in the Marching Mocs were in a steady decline beginning in 1997. My second year here the Marching Mocs were down to 74 members. In 2000, former Chancellor Stacy asked me to develop and aggressive agenda to redevelop the Mocs, gaining enough members to not only march but staff two basketball bands. The eventual number was to be 200 Marching Mocs by 2010. The enrollment target for 2006 was to be 150 Marching Mocs. I am pleased to announce that the Marching Mocs now number 158 students, double the size of the band program when Dr. Stacy initiated the program and the second largest marching band the Marching Mocs have on record.

One major component (outside of around 1700 recruiting miles put on my corolla) has been exhibitions and public performances in major venues and ESPN features. For the year 2006, the Marching Mocs have been invited to 12 exhibition performances including the United States Scholastic Band Association Southern National Championships, and All-States National Championships in New York. This Friday night, Thanks to professor Shane Porter, the Marching Mocs will be joining the rock Band “The Mummy’s” at Rhythm and Brews where they will be the back up horn line for the performance (much like the USC Trojans and Fleetwood Mac with Tusk).

Another major component has been the winter programs. As many of you know, both of the indoor drum lines made finals at World Championships making UTC the first organization in history to have two lines make world finals their first year in existence. The resulting corporate sponsorships have already saved the Marching Mocs around $20,000 for the fal

* UTCSTAFF home page:  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/utcstaff.html *
* unsubscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]  *
*   subscribe:  mailto:[log in to unmask]    *