HP3000-L Archives

June 2006, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:28:17 -0500
This is a very interesting question.  Let's see if I can point you in a few
directions.

First off, DLT8000 is a retired product, it's very old and you will not find
new hardware that incorporates this type of tape drive.  But the tapes that
you mention are really DLT-IV tapes, not DLT8000 per se. The DLT-IV tapes
are also retired product and while I believe SDLT drives can read DLT-IV
tapes, I am not sure they can write on them.  To add insult to injury, the
SDLT drives have advanced rapidly in the last few years and the DLT-IV are
not used by the newer drives, IIRC.

The two main competing technologies are SDLT and LTO, Utrium. The speed at
which they both evolved has been nothing short of astounding.  So, if you
want to use your DLT-IV tapes, you are going to look at used equipment.

You do not need to have any software to run a library or rather an
autoloader if you simply place it in automatic mode.  The autoloader will
pull out the current tape when it reaches the end and will load the next one
and the backup can continue.

Your first task will be to locate a DLT8000-based autoloader that can be
placed in automatic mode.  Once you have that, let us know and we can resume
the discussion.

Denys